February 11, 2004

Frankie.

'ello all! First-time blogger, long-time Bush foe. I voted against him in 2000 and am ready to do it again--in fact, I'm sending my Illinois voter registration today so I can vote in the Dem. primary. Just had to get off my chest how pissed I am over a Washington Post story that Dubya is planning to support a constitutional ban on gay marriage. Whether or not you agree with gay marriage (which I heartily do, marriage for everyone!), how can we countenance the idea of having a constitutional amendment for the purpose of excluding a group of people from a particular right? The framers didn't even have the audacity to mention slavery in the Constitution (although they didn't do anything to abolish it, either--that would have to wait until 1865. Which led William Lloyd Garrison to call the Constitution something on the order of "a pact with the devil and a covenant with hell." That's not the exact quote, but I think it's pretty close. Looks like we're getting ready to do it again). Everybody get out and vote!