July 01, 2004

Complete bullshit.

My father, the 36-year veteran of the United States military and my brother, new to the service, are both Bush-supporters. (Other than that, they are both great men.) It is common knowledge that the majority of military personnel and families support Bush.

This baffles the shit out of me, considering what a lack of RESPECT Bush has for the members of the military. He's calling them up again, just because he can. It is a stupid, but little-known, feature of American law that the President can -- during war or a national crisis -- call up any and everyone who EVER served in the military, up to and including retirees under the age of 60.

This includes my father, who will be 55 years old one month from tomorrow.

Sure, I could console myself with the idea that Bush would never do that, right? Whatever. I doubt that most of the people who voted for him (and that's not most of us, now, is it?) in 2000 ever thought that he would fail to find the criminal who attacked our country and would then try to cover it up by attacking the man whom his Daddy couldn't take care of in the early 90s. He's surprised (read, SHOCKED) us all before, and it stands to reason that he would do it again.*

Bush is a liar. And he has been screwing over the military of our nation for years now, because he can. Because he believes they will vote for him no matter what, since the military "always" votes Republican, right? To quote retired Air Force Chief of Staff General Merrill "Tony" McPeak, a Kerry adviser, "The troops are paying the price for arrogant mismanagement and poor planning at the civilian policy level" (via the Boston Globe).

Rather than screwing over young civies, like myself, Bush puts the pain and burden of this war on the members of the armed services and their families. He already has their votes, and that's all he needs from them these days, it seems. What would seem more just than to send someone like my father, who served his country for three and half decades to war, would be to send someone like me.

I hate this war. When we went to the rescue of Kuwait, I was all for it. But not this obscenity. Nonetheless, I would gladly go, if that meant that my father could stay home. I know, that's easy to say when: a)A draft is very unlikely; and, b)I am married, a graduate student and almost 25; I would not likely be drafted anyway. I know.

Exactly how much does Bush expect our servicemen and servicewomen to give? When does the time come for the rest of us to give a little, too? My father saw god-knows-what in the jungles of Vietnam. He has had to gear up his friends and send them to wars and conflicts many times. He's seen more horrible things than anyone should ever have to see. What's enough?

Send people like me -- ME INCLUDED -- instead. And instead of younger folks who have done their service to their country. But above all, I wish we could send Bush. Let him be far from his home and family and watch his friends bleed to death in the street and risk being shot or captured and beheaded everyday. He deserves far worse.

*[Luckily, however, Bush won't be President much longer. My father's retirement is safe.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home