July 04, 2005

Happy Independence Day.

Happy holiday to my Blog Collective comrades and to the world-wide public in general!

Despite my often being-at-odds with the current administration and my complaining about the "rednecks" and such, I really do love my country. If that's offensive, or goes against what a liberal is supposed to feel, I don't care.

Am I supposed to hate my country because I don't like the President or because we're at war, and a pointless one at that? Am I supposed to hate my country because of the proliferation of Wal-Mart and consumerism?

I'm not going to let anyone tell me how I feel about my country. Too often, the right tells us that we hate American because we disagree with the President, the war, consumerism, etc. That's not fair.

If I did hate America, it would only make good moral sense to eschew everything American. No medications. No computers/software. No blogging. No American universities.

While most of what the right says about so-called haters of freedom/America is little more than mindless monkeying, they are right about one thing. If one hates America, leave. If one hates America and does not live here, one should not take part in anything that comes from American culture. If one hates America and Americans, why act like an American? It's not good moral sense to participate in something one hates or finds morally abhorrent.

I think some people take it too far, anyway. Hating Dubbya or the war or our education policy should not have to equal "I hate this country." I hate habits about some people I love, but I love them just the same. What's the saying, "Hate the sin; love the sinner"?

I don't hate my country. I love it. Pointless wars aside, it's done more for me and for the world at large than I can ever comprehend. I'm not ashamed to be an American. I'm proud.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pragmatik thinks...

Thanks, bro:)

3:52 PM, July 04, 2005  
Blogger lucidity thinks...

Shouldn't it be without people you wouldn't have computers, software, etc.? Why reduce it to one country?

I love the country, I disagree with the policies.

3:56 PM, July 04, 2005  
Blogger Pragmatik thinks...

Without America(ns), there would be no Microsoft and no internet. It's not reducing; it's specifying.

Why say that at all? To make a point. Lots of people love to hate America, but they love what Americans have given them. I know that includes war, but the people who are waging that are our leaders, not the American people as a whole.

I know, some people would like a world with no Microsoft, lol.

Glad to hear you love America. It sounded like you didn't on your blog, and one of your commenters/readers was down-right nasty. We're a good lot in the US, on the whole.

6:20 PM, July 04, 2005  
Blogger lucidity thinks...

Like I said man, America's policies are wack.

Also, are all those inventors 100% American? It just sounds very arrogant and cocky to say things like that. I could easily turn around and say, without British colonies there wouldn't be America.

7:04 PM, July 04, 2005  
Blogger Pragmatik thinks...

I didn't say that 100% were American. I said that Microsoft and the internet were. And they are. Not Canadian or anyone else.

If you're going to call me cocky, read what the hell I said.

8:41 PM, July 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home