July 05, 2005

Introduction, writing, blogging, and writing about blogging.

For someone who introduces themself to complete strangers every day for a living, I'm finding it surprisingly hard to think of a way to introduce myself on this site. I guess I'll jump right in and give you the basics. I'm Rachael, 26 next month, a Baltimore, Maryland native, a leasing agent and marketing assistant, and an artist in my free time. I have a BS in English and Writing but I spend my days renting apartments and trying to avoid the insanity of still living with my parents. Lately my life has focused around four things: the treadmill, my gardens, work, and learning how to use my new Mac. My eye color and spiritual affiliation are linked to the left in my blog title if you're interested in knowing more. Any more information and you could stalk me so I'm going to cut myself off.

I would like to thank Johnny for the invite. I love writing and blogs are such a challenge to the writer in all of us. One of the things I struggle with on my personal blog is the personality of the blogger versus the personality of the actual person. Do you find it difficult to write about yourself and your opinions? Do you censor your thoughs on the internet? I certainly do, which is ironic considering that writing about one's self is how we start out. If you think back to your primary school days you'll probably realize that most of your writing assignments focused on you and what you did or thought about. As childen we were all a little self involved as personal growth dictates that need, but growing older seems to change that, leaving the happy medium out of reach sometimes. I'm excited to be a part of this group because it's a collective of thought, we're all taking the blog challenge together and putting ideas out there. It seems less threatening in a group setting. Don't get me wrong, I'm not intimidated by my blog, I just find it easier to share my thoughts when others are doing the same.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pragmatik thinks...

I found that a group blog was a good way to start blogging. I started my other blog just before this one, but I didn't post on it until a month after this one started. I found that the group dynamic helped with my initial fears about blogging.

I suppose I do censor myself a bit on blogs. I think I was going for some cutesy little guy image when I first started Pragmatik. I never even swore on it for over two months, and that's not like me at all. I have found that I will also usually remain silent about what are probably...offensive ideas or opinions at times. I think that can be good, though. Keeping my occasional hate to myself is usually a good idea, I think:)

I find that I censor myself less in comments, however, especially on this blog. I usually try to not be a jerk first, but I'm guilty of saying jerky things to people already being jerks in comments.

I find that I get angry when people leave comments trying to sound intelligent and thoughtful and really just sounding like an asshole, and I get downright furious when people don't respond to one's (mine or someone else's) responding to one's comments.

If one says asshole things and gets called on it, a person with a brain and balls (or the female equiv, lol) will respond and defend him/herself. I think that not doing that betrays one's pseudo-intellectualism and poopheadness. I suppose I'm talking about trolling, but we don't usually get too much of that on this blog.

I have a whole list of things I hate about commenters on some blogs. Probably a subject for a post in the morning.

12:02 AM, July 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home